The Linguist Lives

 

YEAR: 52028

SHIP: Matriark II, Super-frigate exploration Class

LOCATION: Purple Mountain Lakes, North of Landing site.

 

Professor Adam’s Earpiece Log

DAY ONE

     They rode hard last night without stopping. My belly is raw. They put me down and I was sure it was the end. A large Brown-Haired Pond Ape, possibly their leader, came over with a long thin bone knife. I expected to be gutted and left for dead. Instead, my binds were cut. They studied me without speaking. Then the leader broke the silence.

     There language is harsh and birdlike. I can pick up a few words. I think they refer to me as: Nivah. Every time they look at me I here it. They call their mounts Ruki. They appear to be herbivores. The Ruki are highly intelligent and follow complex commands. I believe they understand the pond ape language. 

     We passed through the purple mountains to get to this lake. Some of them have disappeared beneath the water. Only a small party remain. They must be working out what to do with me.

     I am thirsty but I dare not drink from the lake. I have been on the lake shore for three hours and none of the Pond Apes or their mounts have drunk from its waters. They have taken from a spring to the east of the lake. When ever one of them dives down they all bow their heads in prayer. I am no anthropologist, but I would make the argument that they worship the water.

     I am growing hungry. I will not be able to digest their tough leafy meals they have prepared. I am worried for my future. They do not seem as if they will kill me. But how will I live among them.

 

There leader stared at me. He has produced a large wooden cup. Three little sticks of incense burn around the rim. He gestured for me to drink. I did not refuse.

     The water was sweet. I felt a strange lucidity and a need for sleep come over me. They drugged me. Yet I felt rejuvenated. I don’t think they mean to harm me. They carried me to the water. Then we submerged down into the lake. My ears popped from the pressure. I emerged in an underwater cavern deep below the surface.

 

Note

There is no escape. My only hope is to learn their language and learn it fast. Then I may be able to reason with them.

UT13


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE OVERCOAT

SMOKE

Summer Lost