The Hunt for Sub-Captain Pines

 


 YEAR: 52028

SHIP: Matriark II, Super-Frigate Exploration Class

SUPERVISORY COMPUTOR SYSTEM: Hahaoya X80 (HX80)

LOCATION: Prime-Captain Larkina’s office

IN ATTENDANCE: Prime-Captain Larkina, Sub-Captain Ortner

 

Meeting Minutes

     LARK: Sit down Ortner.

     ORT: I’d rather stand.

     LARK: Sit down. I have been up for three days. I haven’t got time for disobedience. I want to know what you think we should do about Pines.

     ORT: I want to take a small twenty-strong team to go and get him back. You should stay here and mind the ship. The crew needs you.

     LARK: Do you think I can loose another Captain?

     ORT: You won’t lose me.

     LARK: What if you don’t come back? What if those grey skins get you?

     ORT: How else are we going to get them back?

     LARK: We’ll send the drones. We know where he is.

     ORT: Pines won’t pick up a drone-call. This has to be done in person.

     LARK: Then we send someone else. You say here. The crew looks to you for strength. If you disappear as well they will panic. We use the Tri-Captain model to ensure success.

     ORT: He won’t listen to anyone else. I know him well enough to know he needs someone of equal rank to persuade him to reconsider. And even then he won’t be easy.

     LARK: I don’t think he will listen to you.

     ORT: I might be able to bring back some of the Troopers, even if Pines remains AWOL.

     LARK: That’s better than nothing. I was thinking I would go. And you can mind the colony.

     ORT: I think your presence would make things worse.

     LARK: You do, do you?

     ORT: Yeah he won’t listen to you anymore. Not after you demoted him in front of his troopers. And there’s something else I just found out.

     LARK: What is it now?

     ORT: He stole some tactical ordinance from the nuclear arsenal.

     LARK: What exactly?

     ORT: A Neutron shower missile.

     LARK: What the fuck did he take that for?

     ORT: Isn’t it obvious? He means to drop it on the Grey Skins. He has one thing on his mind: Vengeance.

     LARK: Do you think he will use it?

     ORT: If he finds their settlement he will rain death upon them.

     LARK: IF there are more grey skins on this planet they will find out and we will be the ones they come for. I think you should consider eliminating Pines instead of trying to bring him back. He’s lost it. Can’t you see the fragility of this colony? We can’t afford a war. We need to make peace with them not obliterate them. You don’t think I have what it takes to keep us safe do you?

     ORT: I have full faith in you.

     LARK: Do the troopers?

     ORT: The honest answer is no.

     LARK: What do they say?

     ORT: They say you don’t have what it takes to command during conflict. They say you’re better suited to peace than war.

     LARK: Do you believe them?

     ORT: I have reprimanded those who spread anything that undermines your command. I would follow you into battle. You are the Prime-Captain. I think you should choose wisely before you promote the next Sub-Captain. If you chose a rebel you will have a mutiny.

     LARK: Who do you suggest?

     ORT: I know a guy loyal to me. As long as I am sub-Captain he will follow you.

     LARK: Are they really talking of mutiny?

     ORT: I have heard one or two talk of it.

     LARK: Who is this guy you trust?

     ORT: Corporal Macking. He has been loyal even when they talk of your lack of battle instincts. He doesn’t appear to harbour any ambition. As long as Hahaoya keeps surveillance on him he should make an exemplary Sub-Captain.

     LARK: I’ll think about it. So what are we going to do? You want to go hunting Pines?

     ORT: I’m ready to go, with your leave of course.

     LARK: Take a team and bring back the troopers. Tell them there will be no punishment. Eliminate Captain Pines.

     ORT: Yes, Captain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE OVERCOAT

SMOKE

Summer Lost