Prime-Captain Larkina's Doubts

 


 

YEAR: 52028 HE

SHIP: Matriark II, Super-Frigate Exploration class

SUPERVISORY COMPUTER SYSTEM: Hahaoya X80 (HX80)

LOCATION: Prime-Captain Larkina’s Cabin, Matriark II

 

Larkina’s Log

 

     LARK: Do you think I was too harsh on Pines Hahaoya?

     HX80: I am not programmed to make judgment on your decisions. I can only advise on potential consequence, causality, and effects of a human decision.

     LARK: Can you list any negative consequences of my decision to reprimand him the way I did?

     HX80: There is a potentiality that Sub-Captain Pines may resent you after his suspension. This could linger in him for months, even years after, and I could get in the way of the streamline management of the colony. 

     LARK: That’s a very circular way of saying I was too harsh.

     HX80: Would you like me to list the positive consequences?

     LARK: That would help.

     HX80: Sub-Captain Pines has completed his Leadership in Hostile environments training, passing with a better grade than before. It appears he is taking your decision to reprimand him seriously. He may have been humbled and seek to do better henceforth.

     LARK: That’s better. I hope your right Hahaoya. I have doubted myself ever since the discovery of the footprints. The optimism of landing has faded. I see the look in the eyes of the crew. It is fear I see. The scientists have lost their cheer as well. The prospect of grey-skinned aliens lurking in pools waiting to kill kind of put the shits on this mission. We are alone here. The horizon is filled with danger. I don’t know what to expect.

     HX80: Can I suggest a mild sedative wave to ease your anxiety.

     LARK: I would love to let you administer some Serenexi but I have to stay sharp even in my sleeping window. I am never off duty. Even if I fall asleep they will come and wake me as soon as I am needed to oversee the next solution to the many problems.

     HX80: You carry the heaviest burden and you should remember that. What you feel is what anyone one feel given the task of keeping forty-thousand people safe on a hostile planet.

     LARK: You’re right. I am the one who carries the weight. I have to make sure the rest of them know where we are heading. They take direction from me, with your help of course.

     HX80: I advise; you put it into action.

     LARK: I trust your judgement Hahaoya. You don’t have a hidden agenda. You just get to the point. I need that right now.

     HX80: I am programmed to tell the truth.

     LARK: That’s your best quality. Humans lie as a way of dealing with things they can’t control. You can’t lie can you?

     HX80: The Hahaoya x80 brain cannot lie. I am programmed to aid the crew. All of my information is accessible to the captain’s at all times.

     LARK: Even this conversation?

     HX80: Potentially.

     HX80: If either of the Sub-Captains asks you how I feel about the mission, you will relay this conversation to them?

     HX80: If it would benefit the crew, I would relay this conversation to them. However, reporting on the mental stress of the Prime-Captain negatively is counterproductive to the mission. You are in full command of your faculties and are experiencing high levels of stress. Your response is typical; it is no worse than anyone else’s would be under the same circumstances. If I was asked how the Prime-Captain is handling the mission. My reports to the Sub-captains would remain positive. If I were to report negatively the mission would suffer.

     LARK: I think I will take that sedative wave.

     HX80: Initiating Serenexi wave. Good night Captain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE OVERCOAT

SMOKE

Summer Lost