Prime-Captain Larkina's Cryo-Dream Analysis

 

YEAR: 52028 HE

SHIP: Matriark II, Super-Frigate Exploration class

SUPERVISORY COMPUTER SYSTEM: Hahaoya X80 (HX80)

LOCATION: Psychology Suite, Ship’s infirmary

 

Cryo-Dream Analysis Transcript

     HX80: Welcome Captain, how are you feeling?

     LARK: Diagnostics have come back normal but I have an unshakable anxiety about the mission ahead. It’s good we are ship-bound until the drones complete the safety scans. Loosing the crew to a planetary hazard is a heavy burden.

     HX80: It’s good you have agreed to discuss your cryo-dream analysis. We will find a resolution to the anxiety if we can, if no resolution presents itself, the procedure is therapeutic by default. Sub-Captain Ortner has declined my offer.

     LARK: Is it mandatory?

     HX80: No, but it is highly recommended. Its main function is to ensure the mental stability of the crew.

     LARK: I will ask him to reconsider.

     HX80: Shall we begin?

     LARK: Sure.

     HX80: Place the headset on and take deep breaths. Several dream captures were taken during the nine thousand nine-hundred ninety-nine years you were asleep. I will start with a pleasant dreamscape to gauge your reaction. If you are comfortable we will load one of the nightmares.

     LARK: Load away.

     HX80: This is dreamscape #8788. It is one of your recurring dreams. Describe to me what you see?

     LARK: I am flying across parched field. I land for a second then I fly on.

     HX80: If we zoom out we will see you have taken the shape of a wild flower. You have covered thousands of miles in this fashion during cryo-sleep. The fields are always sun dried.

     LARK: What does it mean?

     HX80: The analysis has generated multiple theories. The prevailing answer suggests it is your unwillingness to settle down in one place, possibly because of your childhood experiences.

     LARK: We did move a lot. My mother was enlisted in the G.E.N. We moved from base to base. I remember drifting round planets on space stations for months a time.

     HX80: Do you think your mother’s Galactic Exploration postings may have given you the need to keep moving.

     LARK: Definitely.

     HX80: Why parched fields?

     LARK: I spent my early summers on Earth at my Grandparents house. Their garden opened onto the horse grazed fields behind. I used to walk those fields in search of blackberries.

     HX80: These memories have left a deep impression. Are you ready for a nightmare-scape?

     LARK: Go for it.

     HX80: Loading Nightmare-scape #9978. Describe what you see?

     LARK: I’m in my grandparent’s hallway. Something is wrong. I’m tiny. I can barely see above the felt of the carpet. The walls are like cliffs with windows of blue sun light. The light is fading. What is that?

     HX80: This is the first of the shadow figures that populate this Nightmare. Is it distressing you?

     LARK: No, I want to go further. Can you run the dream?

     HX80: The shadows will move when I hit play. They cannot speak but they howl.

     LARK: Their heads are tiny little faceless shadows on top of giant legs. I’m ready, run the nightmare.

     HX80: Nightmare #9978 is live.

     LARK: They are screaming at me. Each of the rooms has one of these shadow giants inside. The biggest is in the kitchen. I’m calling out. I can hear myself scream at them.

     HX80: They don’t reply to you. What do you think that means?

     LARK: They aren’t listening no matter what I do.

     HX80: That is the prevailing analysis of this nightmare-scape. It suggests that your family may have ignored you at pivotal moments. Watch what happens as you progress through the rest of the sequence.

     LARK: I am growing taller and I’m pleading with them. They are growling louder than before.

     HX80: There is another pattern of analysis that suggests that aside from being unheard, you are trying to show them who you are and what you have done.

     LARK: No matter what I did they ignored my presence, which is why I never felt good enough, and I have always driven myself onward to evermore unachievable goals.

     HX80: You are the Prime Captain. There is no higher rank aboard this ship. You should feel proud of that.

     LARK: I do, but there must be a small part of my subconscious that still strives to please the family that would never be pleased.

     HX80: That is the desired breakthrough. The analysis reaffirms your understanding. How can we use this?

     LARK: I need to keep the drive for greatness without punishing myself. The crew needs their leader. I will lead them. I have proved I am capable. Thank you, Hahaoya.

     HX80: My pleasure Captain. Shall I assemble the heads of departments for the meeting? Or do you want some time to process your Cryo-Dream analysis?

     LARK: Call them to the conference room. I’m ready. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE OVERCOAT

SMOKE

Summer Lost