Ortner's Wall
YEAR: 52028 HE
SHIP: Matriark II, Super-Frigate Exploration class
SUPERVISORY COMPUTOR SYSTEM: Exterior Guard Drone five
LOCATION: Nojo memorial Farms and Gardens
PRESENT: CORPORAL MACKING
Sub-Captain Ortner’s Watch Log
ORT:
There falls another Hahaoyan day. The darkness grows like a fog over the dust.
I don’t like it. This wall is all that protects us from the night. The drones picked
up nothing. But I can’t shake the sense that something is watching us after the
sun goes down; one of those grey-skinned mother fuckers. It’s almost time for
the changing of the watch. I feel much safer when I’m inside the steel. This
watching and waiting doesn’t help. It’s like we are waiting for an attack. I
would like to take a few solar trucks filled with troopers over the mountains and
raid.
MACK:
You think there’s more of those grey skins over the mountains?
ORT:
I don’t know, but nothing survives deserts not even these pond apes could survive
without water. There’s big lakes on the other side of those mountains. The
drones have scanned them, but as you know, if they are hiding deep under the
water they may have gone unnoticed. If they are going to attack us it will be
from the mountains.
MACK:
I’m glad Pines is taking the night watch. You have given me nothing but bad
dreams.
ORT:
I’m frank with you because you can handle it. Or I thought you could. I
wouldn’t willingly spread fear among the watch. The grey skins can be killed.
They don’t look as if they would remember how to use a gun even if they found
one. Not if they’re anything like Specimen Alpha.
MACK:
He was old. The younger ones might be harder to subdue.
ORT:
You speak what I have been thinking. The one we killed may have been an
outcast. The others, if they are any, may be less inclined to stand in from of
a wall and be gunned down. They may hear the sound of our guns and flee.
MACK:
They might have died out. The one we killed might have been the last of them.
ORT:
I hope you’re right. Judging by the loin cloth, I doubt they have anything more
advanced than bows and arrows. But if they come in their thousands we will need
bigger guns. There are some nuclear powered anti-tank laser turrets in the
ships arsenal. If I were Prime-Captain, I would have them mounted along this
wall. But Larkina doesn’t want anything nuclear near the crops. We’ll see.
Don’t let your guard down Corporal. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of these
grey skins.
MACK:
I hope you’re wrong.

Comments
Post a Comment